Things to Do
Often visitors coming to our area ask for attractions and interesting
Below you will find a variety of things to do while enjoying our beautiful mountains.
Immediate Franklin Area:
- Wayah Bald - Breathtaking View! From the fire tower, you can see 3 states!
- Cliffside Lake - Located off 64 East, between Franklin and Highlands.
This lovely park National Forrest, offers fishing - fishing license required.
A recreation area for picnicking and barbecuing, swimming, nature walk, covered area with snack machines and restrooms available.
- Waterfalls - On 64 East (heading from Franklin towards Highlands) are magnificent
- Bowling And Skating - Franklin Lanes And Franklin Skateway - also has miniature golf.
- Gem Mining - Some located on 441 North and also
some original mines in the
Cowee Valley area.
- The Factory - A 56,000 sq. ft. area of amusements plus 3 restaurants, including batting cages, a trampoline, arcade games, 10 bowling lanes, two go-cart tracks, 2 miniature golf courses, a carousel and several kid-friendly play areas. By November 2003, there will be Q-Zar laser tag area and virtual reality simulator. No smoking and no alcohol allowed on the premises.
- Golf - One 18 hole, two 9 hole, and a par 3 with driving range.
- Macon County Recreation Park - On 441 South, offers pool, tennis courts, walking trail, basketball courts, ball fields, batting cages, new playground equipment, and picnic tables, restrooms available.
- Franklin High School Track - Located about a block south of
has a rubberized track and is open to the public.
- Shopping - Many antique shops and craft shops, including our new Whistle Stop Mall, which houses loads of antique booths, as well as numerous retail shops.
- Wal-Mart, Kmart, and several chain grocery stores.
- Dining Out - Franklin has many fast food restaurants, as well as a variety of upscale restaurants.
- Perry's Water Garden - Large aquatic plant nursery. A beautiful place to visit.
- Horseback Riding - stables in the area.
- Canoeing, Tubing And White Water Rafting
- Great Smoky Mountain National Park
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Cherokee Indian Reservation And Harrah's Casino - Cherokee, NC
- The Biltmore Estate - Asheville, NC
Smoky Mountains Railroad - Dillsboro, NC
Just 15 miles from Franklin on 441 North
- Unto These Hills Outdoor Indian Drama - Cherokee, NC
- Oconaluftee Indian Village - Cherokee, NC